Right around the time Myla was born, there was a Facebook contest taking place for Mothers-to-be. The rules were simple: To write a 5-word inspiring message to your unborn child, on your preggo belly, and photograph it. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to enter as I was planning to take the photo the day after Thanksgiving - which just so happened to be when Myla decided to make her appearance. If I had the opportunity, my message was going to be: Love You Like I Do
This message is sort of like a mission statement. Since there are so many other values I'd like to instill into Myla and changes I'd like to see in myself to become a better mother and wife, I decided to create my own Mommy Mission Statement. Here is what I've come up with:
- I promise to help Myla develop values that will be beneficial to her throughout her life:
- To be honest with others as well as herself.
- To be humble yet still confident.
- To be compassionate with humans and animals alike.
- To be happy and spread happiness.
- To be strong but know it's okay to cry.
- To be outspoken but always be willing to listen.
- To dream big but be content with what you have and who you are.
- To love herself as I love her.
- I promise to be a teacher, playmate, dance partner, music maker, healthy chef, and best friend.
- I promise to give lots of snuggles, cuddles, hugs and kisses every day.
- I promise to take care of myself, to continue to learn and grow, and to always do something for myself, all of which will allow me to better take care of my family.
Please share some of your mission statement ideas - I'd love to hear them.
Speaking of "Statements" - below is a Statement Necklace which I created around the time of Myla's first birthday. After receiving a compliment from my mother-in-law about how much she loved it, I began to think of Christmas gift ideas - I was really getting into "doing something for myself" as well as "bringing happiness to others". I'll share those creations in a future blog post.